"Defendendo a Independencia de Timor-Leste"

"Defendendo a Independencia de Timor-Leste"

sexta-feira, 10 de agosto de 2007

Media Release - New Justice Minister interferes with Court Order

FRENTE REVOLUCIONÁRIA DO TIMOR-LESTE INDEPENDENTE

FRETILIN


Media Release
10 August 2007

New Justice Minister interferes with Court Order

FRETILIN today condemned the action of the new Justice Minister of
Timor Leste, Ms Lucia Lobato, for her interference on Wednesday
afternoon (8 August) to block a court order allowing for jailed former
Interior Minister Rogerio Lobato to go to Malaysia for heart surgery.

"FRETILIN in government never interfered with the justice system when
Rogerio Lobato, a senior FRETILIN figure, was arrested, tried,
sentenced to seven-and-a-half years in prison, and failed to win his
appeal," said FRETILIN parliamentarian and Australian trained lawyer
Jose Teixeira today.

"Yet on day one of the new government, there is gross abuse of the
judiciary. The new government should continue the previous
government's practice of strict respect for the independence of the
judiciary," said Mr Teixeira.

"We also condemn international media reports that this court order was
a 'deal' to allow Mr Lobato to 'escape'. This spurious allegation
continues the wild anti-FRETILIN spin in the international media this
week.

"The media reports neglect the fact that the court order to allow
Lobato to leave was handed by a judge, the very same judge who had
convicted Lobato previously, after three international doctors,
including an Australian doctor, had advised that he required heart
surgery which is not available here in Timor-Leste.

"Mr Lobato is a prisoner in the jurisdiction of Timor Leste and must
return after the heart surgery," Mr Teixeria concluded.

For more information, please contact:

Jose Teixeira (+670) 728 7080, FRETILIN Media (+670) 733 5060 or send
an email to fretilin.media@gmail.comwww.timortruth.com,
www.fretilin-rdtl.blogspot.com

1 comentário:

Margarida disse...

"Houve luta nas imediações do convento, com armas tradicionais, mas dela só resultaram ferimentos ligeiros", declarou à Antena Um uma porta-voz da polícia da ONU, Kedma Mascarenhas, que não confirmou declarações de um padre salesiano segundo as quais algumas alunas da escola ali existente teriam sido violentadas."

O que me espanta é que 24 horas depois de ter começado esta novela do padre Salesiano de Baucau, o único media português que tentou esclarecer a questão junto da UNPOL em Timor-Leste tenha sido – e muito bem! - a Antena Um, já que a sua iniciativa foi citada tanto pelo jornalista do Público como do DN.

Francamente que não estou a entender a aparente passividade dos nossos media. Acham eles que não se justifica o esclarecimento de tão graves alegações e se sim porquê?

Exorto os senhores jornalistas a darem corda aos sapatos e já que não querem (ou não podem) ir ao terreno ao menos que peguem no telefone e tentem junto de todas as autoridades – nacionais, internacionais – obter informações para se saber se ocorreram ou não ocorreram violações a crianças e mulheres no orfanato de Baucau.